Saturday, February 2, 2013

How well did I love in this life?



Whether it’s in thirty years, late next week, or later this afternoon, the reality is that we will all die sooner than we’d like. And lurking behind all of our daily concerns, just underneath the anxiety of our immediate embodied experience, hidden in the shadows of our uncompleted projects is this most alive and life-changing reality that we can never fully turn away from. 

In those precious last moments of our lives, it is very unlikely we’ll find ourselves asking, “Did I become enlightened in this lifetime?” “Did I obliterate the ‘ego’?” “Was I able to complete the spiritual project of ‘me’?” “Did I finally find a way to transcend the yucky, messy, gooey, vulnerable, groundless reality of this human experience, becoming some sort of ‘divine’ being?” No, instead, there is really only one essential question at the end of things: “How well did I love in this life? How much did I open my heart to others? How kind was I to my own and others’ lived experience?” Let us take pause today and go ahead and explore this, before it is too late.