Monday, July 23, 2012

How well did I love in this life?


Whether it’s in thirty years, late next week, or later this afternoon, the reality is that we will all die very soon. And lurking behind all of our little daily concerns, behind the anxiety of our immediate experience, hidden in the shadows of our all our uncompleted projects, spiritual and otherwise, is this most alive and life-changing reality that we can never fully turn away from. In those precious last moments of our lives, it is very unlikely we’ll find ourselves asking, “Did I become enlightened in this lifetime?” “Did I lose the self? “Did the personality vanish?” “Did I finish my spirituality project of ‘me and my fabulous experiences’”? No, instead - at least in the research and anecdotes I’ve read - there is really only one essential question at the end of things: “How well did I love in this life? How much did I open my heart to others?” Let us take pause today and go ahead and explore this, before it is too late.  

No comments:

Post a Comment